Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spice Glazed Pecans


Today I finally got around to cleaning out the closet in the boy's room.  It was about a year ago when I first painted and switched their room with the guest room. It has seriously taken me the entire year to get all my junk out of their closet.  Today I got up, drank an entire pot of coffee, and tackled the closet. After it was all cleaned out I decided that it needed a fresh coat so I took out my roller and painted it a nice dusty tan. It feels good to finally be finishing the boys room, and I can't wait to share some pics with all of you...soon!


In the meantime I thought I'd share my favorite salad with you. I made a big bowl of this yesterday to take to the BBQ we went to and it was a hit. The combination of Feta, dried cranberries and pecans has to be one of my favorite flavors ever! All the greens in the salad are straight out of our garden and aside from a few strawberries this is the first harvest we had so far...Homegrown organic spring mix? Yes please!
Usually I just lightly toast the chopped pecans in a pan but this time I thought it would be fun to mix it up a bit so while the pecans were toasting I tossed in a few extra ingredients and came up with a simple and delicious recipe for spice glazed pecans. They are not completely candied but do have a lot of extra flavor!
Spice Glazed Pecans
1 1/2 -2 C. Chopped Pecans
1 tbsp butter
1 heaping Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
1-2 dashes Cayenne pepper
pinch salt

Add chopped pecans to heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add butter, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice and cook until nuts are toasted and the sugar is bubbly and melted. Spread pecans out on a sheet of parchment and lightly sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper, toss to coat evenly and allow to cool. Store in air tight container and enjoy on salads, in popcorn, or just by the handful.
This recipe seems pretty adaptable so if you want more sugar or less pepper feel free to play around with it. I think it would also be good if you added curry instead of pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!


I like to enjoy this salad with a white balsamic vinaigrette but it is delicious with any dressing!

Tuesday Night Supper Club

Peace pass the salad!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm in super-cleaning-organizing mode right now, too, and it's such a good feeling getting something FINISHED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pumpkin pie spice is such a smart idea! i love spiced nuts. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...